The foods you eat play an important role in your overall health. Certain foods can boost your energy and mood. Some foods can also make your immune system stronger.
March is National Nutrition Month. Keep reading for tips on how to eat healthily and practice good nutrition.
What Is National Nutrition Month?
National Nutrition Month is a yearly campaign that takes place every March. It was created in 1973 by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Its goal is to teach people about the importance of nutrition. It can help you develop healthy eating habits you can practice for life.
This year’s theme for National Nutrition Month is “Fuel for the Future.” It focuses on ways to eat healthy while protecting the environment.
The Importance of Healthy Eating
Eating healthy foods can help you live longer. It can also reduce your risk of serious health problems. You can lower your risk of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer if you practice good nutrition. If you have a chronic disease, healthy eating can help you avoid related problems.
The CDC says that fewer than one in seven adults eat enough fruit. It adds that fewer than one in 10 people eat the right amount of vegetables. You can set a good example for your loved ones by eating more of these foods.
How to Observe National Nutrition Month
A good way to observe National Nutrition Month is to eat healthy foods. You can also invite your friends and family to do the same.
There are weekly messages for those who want to follow this year’s theme. Buying foods in season is one way to celebrate National Nutrition Month.
Here are other ways to eat healthily and celebrate National Nutrition Month:
- Eat more plant-based foods. Salads and kale chips are examples of plant-based foods.
- Buy foods without much packaging.
- Buy from local farmers.
- Grow your own food at home.
- Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist.
- Ask your doctor how to change your diet as you age.
- Work with your doctor to create a personalized diet.
- Eat food you already have before buying more.
- Buy foods that are on sale.
- Check out community food programs like SNAP, WIC, and food banks.
- Enjoy your favorite cultural foods.
- Eat foods that are fresh, frozen, dried, and canned.
- Learn how to cook at home. You can watch tutorial videos online or take a free cooking class.
- Try new spices, flavors, and foods.
- Save and eat leftovers. Do not throw them away.
- Avoid eating fad diets.
- Eat less salt.
- Drink more water.
- Do not skip meals.
- Eat less fat and sugar.
- Eat more fish. Tuna and salmon are good choices.
- Avoid fast food.
- Eat more nuts and seeds. Walnuts, almonds, and chia seeds are good options.
- Be active every day.
- Cook with healthy oils.
- Plan to eat healthy meals with your friends and family.
Talk to your doctor if you need help with making your diet healthier. Your doctor can talk to you about your current diet and make recommendations for improving your nutrition.
Jai Medical Systems is devoted to keeping you healthy for years to come. Contact us today at 1-888-524-1999 to learn more about our benefits and services.